Happy birthday, Robert!

Why is 1989 one of the reasons for my visit to Łódź in 2016? And why I'm writing about it today, in 2019?
Firstly, Robert Smith will celebrate his 60th next week. In 1989 The Cure, the band in which Robert sings, realased their eighth album "Desintegration", one of the best of all time.Well, I feel like a historican now, so many dates. Anyway, I'm here today to talk about this little piece of art, as well as about a fear and an anxiety. Something that every human in connected with. In this album, there are mentioned specific phobias and fears: of spiders ( "Lullaby"), of missed opportunities ( "Pictures of You") or of disappointment ( "Last Dance"). 

The quintessence of "Disintegration", the central point of the album is of course the title track. Whats interesting, Smith recorded vocals for this song at least ten times before he was content with it.



One of my favourite composition is the Lullaby. According to many sources, Robert Smith’s uncle used to tell him bedtime stories about a “spiderman” who ate children when they were alone in bed at night. In 1991, he told Select Magazine the genesis of this song:
"I woke up one morning with the first two lines – “On candystripe legs the spiderman comes / Softly though the shadow of the evening sun”.

And no, I'm not afraid of spiders. This melody is just mesmerising for me, like many others The Cure songs.
These lines "
And there is nothing I can do when I realize with fright
That the Spiderman is having me for dinner tonight"
 they may be a reference to depression. When you try to sleep it comes for you, in the darkness, while everybody else is already sleeping. And you wake up the next morning, cold, depressed and knowing it will come back.

This is why I adore The Cure so much - between the lines you can see new, hidden meanings and everything (even music videos) is buttered with an extraordinary dose of bands creativity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adolescence

NEVERMIND, it's OVER

Effective Altruism? You got ice in your veins!